This week in year 1 we continued with our challenge-based learning. This was our final week in the carousel so now everyone has had a turn at everything! Here are some of the things we’ve done:
- I can write an algorithm for brushing my teeth:
Children worked with Miss Asker to sequence the pictures. They then acted it out to check they were in the right order!
- I can write a simple program to make the cat spin:
Here children worked with a partner to write code that made the cat spin – some even challenged themselves to get the cat to do more than just spin!
- I can improve my mouse skills:
Other children worked on some online-jigsaw puzzles to practise clicking and dragging the pieces into the correct spaces.
- I can write a simple program to get the Beebot to move in a square:
This one we found quite tricky, but we did talk lots about how we make the Beebot do what we want and we explored the different ways we could make it move.
- I can debug the algorithm for head, shoulders, knees and toes:
We have been working on learning the new words ‘algorithm’ and ‘debugging’. Debugging is where we find mistakes and someone had gotten into a right muddle with this song! Luckily, year 1 were on hand to sort it all out. Some children even had time to draw the rest of the instructions!